Friday, March 19, 2010

Transplanting the Kale

This is my first attempt at blogging from my phone. Let's see how it goes.

Back in January I planted Kale directly in my three recycled blender pots. I spaced four or five seeds about an inch apart in each.

On average each pot sprouted four baby Kale. I have already tranplanted four of these to share a home with freshly planted carrots and peas, but on this day I transplanted the rest so each has it's own pot.


I found five pots at a local thrift store for under $20.

One of them is a cookie jar missing it's lid.


I started with a few rocks in the bottom to save a little soil. This space will also hold water that the soil can soak up as needed.

I mixed the last of my used soil left from our last planting adventure with the Keefers container mix...

and filled the pots.

Because the Kale is still so small I used a tablespoon to remove them from their original home...

and then placed them in the centre of the new pot, gentlely using soil to prop them up. I also move the Kale into the centre of thier orginal pots.

I lined them all up along the railing on the east deck. I find that the plants get plenty of water here when it rains. If anything is getting too much water I simply move it away from the edge until it stops raining or the soil begins to dry out.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment