Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Restart

Its a new year and time to decide what to do with the blog. Its always tough with this kind of thing when you have let it go for awhile.

Much had changed in 2009. When I started this blog I was renting a house in Kitsilano with a nice big yard open to all kinds of gardening possibilities. I was a husband and father of a two year old. I had a full time job as a Generator Operator in the film industry but was attempting to start a Organic Landscaping Company. I had some garden successes and some mishaps, but was having a great time.

I am still a husband and father, only now my son is 3. We have bought an apartment in North Vancouver's Lower Lonsdale area. We have traded our double lot on the flats, blocks from the beaches of the English Bay for double 2nd floor decks and the side of a mountain, blocks from the piers of the Burrard Inlet's North Shore.

In my last post I spoke of address my council about transforming our grounds into community gardens to be enjoyed by the tenants. My letter to council was not received until months later and was only addressed at the General Meeting, where the idea was in part rejected, but was agreed to pole for interest in the Minutes that was later distributed to the all the tenants. So far, no one has contacted me.

So what do I have if I do not have land. I am fortunate for a gardener without land. I have a south facing deck with lots of sun and an east facing deck mostly shaded by a Acorn tree. These two different environments create two different gardening opportunities. Best of both worlds really.

I still have my full time film job, but when we moved to a new area I had to make some decisions regarding my landscaping company. My original business plan was to find jobs close to home so as to reduce my carbon footprint by not driving all over the lower mainland from job to job. When I moved I had to decide whether or not to keep the limited clients I already had and still try to work in that area, or move the operation to North Vancouver completely. At that time I was contacted to bid on two other potential jobs, both very large and both interested in my different outlook. In the end Turned Leaf was not chosen for those jobs and I decided to drop my other clients in Kits. As far as the company goes, I have decided to stay where I am for the time being, we will see what the future holds.

So now what do I do with the blog. Do I start a new one, as this blog is named after my now closed landscape company? Or do I stay under this heading as I move into a new arena of gardening know as container gardening? It would be easy to start again as I only have the one follower and I haven't posted anything in months.

I still like the term, "Turned Leaf." As in a new leaf has already turned, and now it has turned again. What is gardening if not adjusting to new environmental needs and constantly turning new leaves again and again. So I will continue to blog under this heading.

I ask this of you. If you are reading this blog, let me know you are there. I dare not be so bold as to ask that you follow me, but I would love to hear your thoughts, questions, comments, advice or maybe even a little encouragement.

Thanks for stopping by and hopefully we can grow our gardens and selves together.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment